Business Aligned Support Windows Engineer Specialist - IT:GIS:GO:CSM-P00283 - ARG000SL
The Business Aligned Windows Engineer Specialist performs operational and environment support for the Windows servers and associated applications in a range of business portfolios. This professional possess deep knowledge of Windows and VMware operational practices as well as a working understanding of SQL databases. This position requires in-depth knowledge of the firm's infrastructure to resolve complex incidents and problems and to provide a stable and reliable infrastructure. Responsibilities involve the daily troubleshooting and resolution of incidents, operational maintenance and support, application and environment change control, and proactive/preventative analysis of systems. Post-holder performs systems operations and analysis across complex hosted environments including shared and clustered environments, and provides consultation to other teams within EY
Required technical experience & qualifications:
• Provides technical support for complex problems and high priority incidents to ensure that appropriate action is taken to anticipate, investigate and resolve problems in systems and services.
• Resolves and acts as an escalation and coordination point for major incidents and problems related to affected services
• Root cause analysis, problem investigations and service improvement solutions
• Execution of process engineering and operational improvement initiatives including automation tooling
• Execution of application and/or platform changes, releases, and service requests in supported environments.
• Execution of application environment tasks as required for incident resolution
• Liaise with appropriate teams for the development of corrective actions or viable workarounds to resolve major incidents.
• Responds to automated alerts on the health of systems.
• Interfaces with other IT teams to review design solutions, influence strategy and highlight areas of concern.
• Executes scheduled or unscheduled tasks relating to operational maintenance and monitoring of application environments.
• Performs audits and analysis of application environments for the purpose of ensuring proper configuration management and consistency.
• Identifies dependencies and pre-requisites for the solution and validation of non-functional attributes of the application environment design.
• Adherence to E&Y and ITIL guidelines for Incident, Problem, and Change Management
• Ensures all work is carried out and documented in accordance with required standards, methods and procedures.
• Debug, troubleshoot, and work with team members to find and fix application defects as it relates to the server infrastructure
• Provide and Review Performance and Scalability analysis and provide feedback
Analytical/Decision Making Responsibilities:
Ability to demonstrate sound judgment and be able to prioritize assignments, managing multiple tasks with shifting priorities
• Ability to work well within a multi-disciplinary team structure, but also independently
• Ability to work with 3rd party vendors (i.e. Microsoft) for escalation of issues
• Ability to manage multiple tasks with shifting priorities
• Ability to build and maintain strong working relationships with DBAs and application teams
• Demonstrates analytical and systematic approach to problem solving.
• Communicates fluently orally and in writing and can present complex technical information to both technical and non-technical audiences.
• Ability to deal efficiently with escalations and difficult situations/people under pressure, such as when restoring services
• Is able to plan, schedule and monitor work activities in order to meet time and quality targets.
• Is able to rapidly absorb new technical information, business acumen, and apply it effectively.
• Good appreciation of wider field of information systems, its use in relevant employment areas and how it relates to the business activities of the employer or client.
Required technical experience & qualifications
• Demonstrable advanced knowledge of Windows 2008R2/2012R2 server O/S
• Demonstrable advanced knowledge of IIS7.X/8.X and .NET
• Demonstrable knowledge relating to SQL and Server/Oracle connectivity in an application environment
• Experience supporting applications, platforms, and/or services in clustered, federated, shared and/or virtual environments
• Advanced knowledge of troubleshooting tools/techniques related to systems i.e. remote tools, Windows Support tools, connectivity tests, etc.
• Understanding of SAN, NAS and DAS arrays. Including troubleshooting on issues with logical volumes, storage reservations and LUN assignments
• Understanding of virtualization with VMware vSphere and/or Microsoft Hyper-V
• Understanding of public and private cloud solutions like Microsoft Azure
• Substantial experience with performance monitoring Windows Operating System i.e. MS PerfMon, SCOM, HP OVO
• Understanding of enterprise antivirus / data backup and enterprise database level encryption
• Understanding of networking/LAN/WAN/DMZ concepts, along with IP protocols, Load balancers, WAN optimizers, networking and domain administration (objects, OU, group policies, replication, trust, etc.).
• Understanding of LDAP and Microsoft Active Directory concepts
• Understanding of application, authentication, and encryption protocols i.e. SSL, SOAP, Kerberos, etc.)
• Experience in automation and orchestration
• Experience leveraging APM Tools i.e.: SCOM or AppDyanmics
• Experience utilizing Log Mining Tools i.e.: Splunk, LogParser
• Experience with Microsoft Windows Clustering technologies.
• Experience monitoring server capacity and processes to ensure maximum availability
Knowledge and Skills Requirements:
• Familiarity with scheduled jobs and job monitoring tools such as Control-M
• Proactively identifies opportunities for improvement of the computing environment
• Flexibility and initiative to anticipate customers and internal team needs
• Strong working knowledge in ITIL Service Management systems and processes such as Service Now.
• Demonstrates commitment to comply and document IT methodologies, processes and standards
• Function in a supervisory capacity for small, application/project scoped teams of varying levels of skills and experience, and geographically distributed in different countries
• Act as an escalation point for staff for technical guidance on complex issues
• Coach and mentor team members
• Involved in interviewing and hiring decisions for prospective staff
• Ability to work and team effectively with clients, management and team members in diverse and geographically dispersed teams
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills. Must be able to communicate fluently in English both verbally and in writing with the ability to present complex technical information to both technical and non-technical audiences.
• Demonstrable technical wiring skills in publication of work instructions, technical reference manuals and procedures documentation.
• Participate in a fixed shift pattern/on-call rotation/
• 8+ years’ experience in Operations capacity
• 7+ years’ experience in windows support / engineering / infrastructure
• 5 to 7 years’ experience in web/cloud hosting support specific to large complex global organizations
• MCSE/MCITP Certification (desired)
• ITIL Foundation Certification (desired)