Virtualization Support Specialist - IT:GIS:GO:ISM-P00877/878 - ARG000RQ
The Virtual Infrastructure Engineer provides design and implementation details for projects and initiatives within the firm's server environment and within the Technology standards. It is also expected that this professional will develop and create the documentation for any new technology or updates the existing standards to the new version. This professional applies knowledge of VMware server operations practices as well as good hardware and infrastructure experience to various platforms. This position requires in-depth knowledge of the firm's infrastructure to act as the ultimate escalation prior to the vendor for complex incidents and problems and to provide a stable and reliable infrastructure. This is a role that requires a mix of hands-on with plan and design activities. This role will drive continued consolidation of the physical server environment while also working to build out self service cloud offerings to internal customers. The ideal candidate is highly analytical with excellent problem solving skills, exhibits a strong understanding of server engineering in VMware environments. We are looking for a dynamic individual who adapts quickly and can overcome the challenges that arise in today’s changing technology environment
Essential Functions of the Job:
Provides support for infrastructure services hardware, operating system, and software platforms.
Incident, service request, changes and problem work (ITIL based).
• Install, configure, and manage all aspects of the VMware Vsphere environment including installing new ESXi hosts, datastore creation and maintenance,P2V, and troubleshooting performance issues
• Diagnose production problems on ESX/Windows/Linux hosts
• Ability to ensure coordination/integration with Server, Storage, Network, & Database systems specialists and clients
• Serve as an escalation point for technical issues on the project.
• Troubleshoot technology issues, using various internal and external resources.
• Participate in post mortem process for problems as appropriate.
• Follow policies and procedures for change and incident management.
• Participate in projects from operational and technical perspectives
• Work with other functional areas to facilitate resolution of customer issues and product improvements.
• Ability to work with reports in Excel, analyze data, and make meaningful conclusions based on quantitative analysis.
• VMware Host patching, Vmotion guests, validation of hosts
• VMWare tools tools upgrade
• Firmware and drivers upgrade
• Virtual machine template deployment
• vCenter service account maintenance
Analytical/Decision Making Responsibilities:
• This role must make decisions about applying the right technical solutions to problems and to drive issues to resolution. When issues cannot be resolved, must drive escalation to higher support levels.
• Ability to demonstrate sound judgment and be able to prioritize assignments.
• Ability to work and team with a multitude of different people across teams, regions and organizations
• Ability to deal efficiently with escalations and difficult situations/people under pressure, such as restoring services
Knowledge and Skills Requirements:
• Minimum of five years’ experience in Virtualization administration
• Minimum of two years’ experience in Windows Operating Systems Windows 2008/2012
• Experience with private and public Clouds a plus
• Scripting background (Power Shell or VBScript) a plus
• Experience with VMware management / capacity tools a plus
• Knowledge of Active Directory
• Large scale Windows Systems Administration experience (Windows 2003/2008 Servers) a plus
• Large scale Linux/Unix administration a plus
• Knowledge of Dell and HP server hardware a plus
• Knowledge of Dell blade server hardware a plus
• Knowledge of SAN storage
• Experience in maintaining mission critical production systems running in a data center environment.
• Excellent analytical skills.
• Understanding of IP protocols, networking and domain administration.
• Experience in working with diverse and geographically dispersed teams.
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills.
• Strong working knowledge in ITIL Service Management systems such as ServiceNow, Remedy, etc.
• Ability to work and team effectively with clients, management and its staff members.
• Ability to document processes and procedures
• Proactive, organized
• Able to prioritize tasks, multitasking
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills- must be able to communicate fluently in English both verbally and in writing.
• Good knowledge of Office tools (Excel, Word, Access and Visio)
• Strong commutation and interpersonal skills
• Demonstrates commitment to IT methodologies, processes and standards for documentation
• Excellent team work skills
• Able to work under pressure
• Flexibility and initiative to anticipate customers and internal needs
• Drive to achievement
• Degree in Computer Science/Management or a related discipline, or equivalent work experience.
• VMware ESX/Virtual Center / 5 yrs
• Microsoft Windows Server 2008/2012 / 2 yrs
• VCP 5
• ITIL Foundations v3